On Fri, Mar 07, 2014 at 10:29:26PM +0000, Sarfraz Nawaz wrote:
> I have finally managed to get the FET talking to my board! I
> downgraded the FET to V2 and then upgraded it again to V3 using TI's
> MSPFlasher. Now I can make a JTAG connection to the board using both
> MSPFlasher and mspdebug.
>
> I have one more query related to this. My board comes pre-programmed
> with software from the vendor and is functioning properly. Now before
> I start playing with it, I want to read out an image that I can use to
> restore the board to its working state if I mess up. Looking at the
> memory map of MSP430F5528 in the data sheet, the flash memory starts
> at 0x4400. So doing a "hexout 0x4400 0xbbff defaultimage.hex" on
> mspdebug prompt will give me a restorable image? Or do I have to do
> something else to achieve this?

Hi Sarfraz,

The second argument to hexout is the size of the region, rather than the
ending address.

It'd be best to grab one image for each contiguous flash region (main
and interrupt vector table, if there's a gap between them). You can trim
the HEX header and footer and splice them together if you want to be
able to restore in one step.

Cheers,
Daniel

--
Daniel Beer <dlb...@gmail.com>    www.dlbeer.co.nz
IRC: inittab (Freenode)    PGP key: 2048D/160A553B