I tried the newer msp-GCC (TI/RedHat) distribution on my project(s).

It still builds with _far_ more code then my present msp430-gcc
(4.7.0). This compiler
has also some minor habits but produces compact code.

So for the moment I will not switch to the newer version, my project
would not fit in the flash.

best regards,

Kees