From: rob...@sulla.co.uk [mailto:rob...@sulla.co.uk]
Sent: Tuesday, August 13, 2013 10:06 AM
To: mssms@lists.myitforum.com; Spinelli, Robert J
Subject: Re: [mssms] Answered: RE: SCCM 2012 - CAS - New Records

Why do you even have a CAS?

Robert
"Spinelli, Robert J"
<robert.j.spine...@jpmchase.com<mailto:robert.j.spine...@jpmchase.com>> wrote:
Another team member found the info below, stating that new resources are
created by the CAS and then sent back down to the primary.

I also spoke to MS, who also confirmed.  I don’t like that fact that a CAS
needs to be online for new records to be created, but it is what it is.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg712308.aspx

About Discovery Data Records<javascript:void(0)>
________________________________
Discovery data records (DDRs) are files created by a discovery method that
contain information about a resource you can manage in Configuration Manager.
DDRs contain information about computers, users and in some cases, network
infrastructure. They are processed at primary sites or at central
administration sites. After the resource information in the DDR is entered into
the database, the DDR is deleted and the information replicates as global data
to all sites in the hierarchy.
The site at which a DDR is processed depends on the information it contains:
·         DDRs for newly discovered resources that are not in the database are
processed at the top-level site of the hierarchy. The top-level site creates a
new resource record in the database and assigns it a unique identifier. DDRs
transfer by file-based replication until they reach the top-level site.
·         DDRs for previously discovered objects are processed at primary
sites. Child primary sites do not transfer DDRs to the central administration
site when the DDR contains information about a resource that is already in the
database.
·         Secondary site do not process discovery data records and always
transfer them by file-based replication to their parent primary site.
DDR files are identified by the .ddr extension, and have a typical size of
about 1 KB.
Thank you.

Robert Spinelli | CTS | GTI | 575 Washington Boulevard, Jersey City, NJ, 07310,
United States| T: +1.201.595.6820 | C: +1.917.538.6192 |
robert.j.spine...@jpmchase.com<mailto:robert.j.spine...@jpmchase.com>