I could swear that I've seen a few articles detailing reg keys that can be
changed to switch the update branch of an existing install, but I'm not
finding them now.

I believe that this registry value is changed to point to a different URL
for whichever channel you choose:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\ClickToRun\Configuration\CDNBaseUrl

In my case, on a machine running First Release for Current Channel, the
value is set to:
http://officecdn.microsoft.com/pr/64256afe-f5d9-4f86-8936-8840a6a4f5be

Another machine, running Deferred Channel, is set to:
http://officecdn.microsoft.com/pr/7ffbc6bf-bc32-4f92-8982-f9dd17fd3114

Unfortunately, I'm not sure if that registry value will be there if Office
365 is set to use a network share for it's update path.  In that case a
different value is used:
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\ClickToRun\Configuration\updateurl

>From what I'm reading, I wouldn't expect to find updateurl and CDNBaseURL
both on the same system.

Steve