I’ve found that CPU is rarely the bottleneck for virtual SQL servers. It’s
almost always disk.

From: listsad...@lists.myitforum.com [mailto:listsad...@lists.myitforum.com] On
Behalf Of Art Flores
Sent: Monday, November 7, 2016 1:00 PM
To: mssms@lists.myitforum.com
Subject: [mssms] OT: VMware CPUs for SQL

[External Email]
Howdy Folks,
I finally got Ola Hallengren’s SQL server maintenance scripts installed and
configured (And there was much rejoicing Yaaaaay!!).
In an effort to make sure SQL is running at top speed, I tried running the
calculator linked at:
https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/sqlsakthi/p/maxdop-calculator-sqlserver/
referenced from:
http://www.systemcentercentral.com/tip-setting-sql-max-degree-of-parallelism-achieve-big-database-performance-gains/
After running the following powershell command for the calculator, the VM I
created in my test lab shows these results:
Get-WmiObject -namespace "root\CIMV2" -class Win32_Processor -Property
NumberOfCores | select NumberOfCores
[cid:image001.png@01D238F6.6E34CCB0]
Msinfo32 shows the following:
[cid:image002.jpg@01D23A6F.12B1AAA0]
***********************
The VM created by another team in production is showing the following results:
[cid:image004.png@01D238F6.6E34CCB0]
Msinfo32 shows the following:
[cid:image005.jpg@01D23A6F.12B1AAA0]
What is the best way to configure VMWare’s “number of virtual sockets” and
“number of cores per socket” to give SQL the best performance?

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail is from a law firm and may be protected by
the attorney-client or work product privileges. If you have received this
message in error, please notify the sender by replying to this e-mail and then
delete it from your computer.