I'm guessing it's reporting back exactly what the system is saying.
If you look at inventoryagent.log, when file inventory runs, you'll see a
line like...
select name, <more stuff>, ProductVersion, <more stuff>, FileVersion from
FileSystemFile where name= 'srv.sys' and path='Whatever Path you said"
and it's looking in root\ccm\invagt for that.
So if you go run that exact wmi query against a box that is saying
something contrary to what you believe, I suspect you'll find that
FileVersion, from that, is exactly what is there.  Whether or not you like
it is a different question.

--
Thank you,

Sherry Kissinger

My Parameters:  Standardize. Simplify. Automate
Blogs: http://www.mofmaster.com, http://mnscug.org/blogs/sherry-kissinger,
http://www.smguru.org