From: listsad...@lists.myitforum.com [mailto:listsad...@lists.myitforum.com] On
Behalf Of nick aquino
Sent: Friday, July 28, 2017 2:05 PM
To: mssms@lists.myitforum.com
Subject: [mssms] Recovery Key required after SecureBoot

Hi all,
Building out a Windows 10 1703 in-place upgrade task sequence for HP Models
running Windows 7.  I've run into a few issues with these, one of them being
that when I turn on SecureBoot, bitlocker recovery key is required after I
re-enable bitlocker.  Here are my steps:

  1.  Disable bitlocker
  2.  Upgrade Operating system
     *   This reboots on its own
  3.  Added another restart to fix an issue with the TS Progress bar
     *   (conditional steps to disable bitlocker if, for some reason, it's
enabled again)
  4.  Restart into WinPE
  5.  Convert from MBR to GPT
  6.  Configure BIOS with UEFI and Secure Boot
  7.  Restart into Default OS
  8.  Enable bitlocker
  9.  Restart again into Main OS

After Step 9 restarts, we're presented with the bitlocker recovery screen.  We
enter the recovery key, boot up, disable bitlocker, restart, enable bitlocker
and it's fine.

If I perform all of the same steps but without enabling SecureBoot, we do not
have an issue.  As soon as I enable secure boot (even if bitlocker is disabled
before I restart into the firmware), once bitlocker enables, the recovery key
is required upon the next restart.

Caveat: This only happens on the models that have legacy boot and secure boot
separated into two settings in the BIOS.  The models that have it all in one
step (i.e. "Legacy boot disabled and SecureBoot enabled"), those do not have
the issue at all.

I hope this write-up makes sense and someone has a workaround.

-Nick-

Electronic Mail is not secure, may not be read every day, and should not be
used for urgent or sensitive issues