From: listsad...@lists.myitforum.com [mailto:listsad...@lists.myitforum.com] On
Behalf Of Sherry Kissinger
Sent: Friday, February 2, 2018 3:33 AM
To: mssms@lists.myitforum.com
Subject: Re: Re[2]: [mssms] RE: Collection based on AD sec group (no recursive)

If I understand the question, you want users in the usergroup SG1 to be in a
collection.
however, the usergroup SG2, in Active directory, is nested into SG1

That means that the users in SG2 ARE a member of the usergroup SG1.  Just
because you the human think of it as distinctly different isn't the same thing.
 :)

My suggestion... You're going to have arrange to have another group (let's call
it SG3).  That group will contain only the users you explicitly expect to be
there--and not nest any other groups inside it.

Then I would use this as a collection query:
Select SMS_R_Usergroup.resourceid
  from SMS_R_UserGroup
  where SMS_R_UserGroup.Name = "YourDomain\\SG3"

That will result in there being one and only 1 entry in that collection--the
usergroup itself (of course, this is after a Discovery cycle to discover this
just-created new usergroup, so it's there)

What that means is anyone in SG3 will deserve whatever deployment is targeted
to that collection with that 1 value.  One caveat people forget about
sometimes... Let's say I logged in yesterday.  and today at 8am my ID was added
to SG3.  No matter how many user policy refreshes I try, I don't get the new
software listed.  That's because the AD Token for that group isn't there yet in
that logged in session.  I haven't re-authenticated.  I either have to
lock/unlock my session (Ctrl+alt+del, lock and unlock), or logoff/logon, or
reboot of course completely.

On Thu, Feb 1, 2018 at 9:57 AM, Eswar Koneti