NYYRIKKI wrote:
>How can I give this ID ?

With BERT I think you can press a number-key on boot.

>So, this means, that if I use same partitions at a same time, my FAT
>system will crach and I may lose some files, if I writed same partition
>with both computers ?

Only when you write with BOTH computers at EXACTLY the same time.

>> >stall. If I used a special DOS which had a hotkey to reset
>> the SCSI-bus, I
>> >could continue, otherwise reset one of the computers.
>
>What version was that ?

Version 2.33. It also had some kind of CONFIG.SYS. I'm not sure if it works
with any interface besides BERT. Anyway, I didn't use it because it took
too much TPA memory.

>Aargh !!! I don't have a place for external power suply in my expander...
>And I'll overload the SCSI bus, if one SCSI controller is offline? Hey
>this is getting ugly... :-(

You won't overload anything, it just won't work :)

>I was planning exactly something like this :
>
>MSX tR -> Novaxis SCSI -- HDD -- CD ROM -- Zip -- Novaxis SCSI <- NMS 8250
>ID#:          ???          1       2        5         ???
>
>... but I'm not sure anymore, is it a good idea :-(

I wish I had thought of it, but Maico Arts had the following solution,
which SHOULD work:

MSX tR -- NMS8250 with terminators removed from SCSI interface -- HDD --
CDROM -- ZIP with terminators placed

Give one interface ID#7 and the other ID#6.

-
Maarten ter Huurne wrote:
>So while some of you might think that writing a partition by only one
>computer is a restriction, it might actually be a safety precaution which
>will ensure correct writing of data to your harddisk.

I like to take precautions myself. I mean, I want to be able to write to
the same partition with both and I'll make sure myself that I don't do it
at once.

>Does anyone know whether the BERT interface has a DOS2 inside which
>properly addresses these concurrency problems, or whether using it with 2
>harddisks is simply "hoping such bad things will never happen"?

I think the latter is true.

Greetz,

                Patriek

,--.   ,-------.   ,--. Homepage:                 \"To make a mistake is