On 16 Mar 99 at 23:49, Jimmy Hoffa wrote:

> > On Tue, 9 Mar 1999, Ricardo Jurczyk Pinheiro wrote:
> >
> > >     Well, I'll start a group to develop Linux 4 MSX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  Sorry, I don't saw the original message, but I have some remarks about
the possibility of "Linux 4 MSX": It's absolutly (IMO) impossible (I say
about Linux only!, not about some U*X). The structure of Linux is very
complex and intricate and require the lot of resources (as the example
we can to look at ELKS - Embedded Linux Kernel - for the 8086 CPU - this
CPU has significantly more resources - memory and computing, but even very
simplified Linux-like kernel take almoust all of this resources and want
more and more... MSX's Z80 is very slow (at comparison with...) and MSX
has not too many memory (but with comparison with regular 8086 we are
ABLE to have the lot of memory - and again the 8086 able to have so many
memory as it needed through EMS - the neares mapper equivalent). As the
conclusion as want to say - don't try to develop "LINUX 4 MSX", the
"U*X for MSX" is significantly more reacheble target, and some steps
to this direction already done.

> > What?
> > I'm a linux user too.
> > But it's a pity that our Z80 hasn't multiprocess features.
> Hm. Correct me if I am wrong, but I'm quite sure there is a MINIX
> developed for Z80 atleast. That shouldnt be that hard to port to MSX, or?
> There is something called Lunix developed for Commodore 64, and I know
> people that are working on actually writing for an example a webserver for
> that.

  The main inaccurace in these sentences (Linux for some one...) is the
naming Linux something which is not Linux (or Linux derivative) really.
It's may be some developed with influence of Linux ideas, but not Linux.

  PS: Don't think 'He is agains *X 4 MSX' - my vote is YES, but my vote
also is YES TO REAL TARGET.

  WBR,