Adriano Camargo Rodrigues da Cunha wrote:

>       But with a small gap do I gain more disk space, don't I?

In theory, yes. You can fit 10 sectors into a track if you make the gaps
small enough.
But unless you're doing direct disk I/O, you can't access the 10th sector
in a track. The diskROM always uses 9 sectors per track. Although a format
with 8 sector per track also exists, maybe some old MSX diskROMs also
support that.

Shevek wrote:

>I think it is the same reason as putting the boot sector on the outside of
>the disk (the widest circle). There is more magnetic space reserved for
>the sector, so it will be more secure.

That's not true. A bigger gap doesn't mean the bytes inside sector get more
space, it only means they are surrounded by more space.

Does anyone know what the function of the gaps is in the first place? Is it
only for giving the computer time to prepare for the next sector? Or does
it have an impact on data safety as well?

Bye,
                Maarten