At 11:42 AM 6/25/99 +0200, you wrote:

>Yes, everybody has a PC nowadays, but I see movements in the business. I
>think the time is here to introduce other systems (hard- and
>software)..Linux is more popular then ever, BEOS version 4 is
>released.....These are all examples of the fact that more and more people
>don't like PC/Microsoft anymore.....

First, you must separate PC from Microsoft.

BeOS runs on x86 and Power PC. Linux runs on many systems, but most people
use x86. Intel even actively supports Linux development. So, it's not right
to assume all PCs run Windows.

The other way around, Windows CE is in a lot of new equipment (like the
Dreamcast), so Microsoft is not limited to PCs anymore.

Second, I fail to see why MSX would be a good base for a new computer
system. Other than games, I don't think I know any program that MSX offers
and is better than what Linux offers.

Besides, even if a company wanted MSX compatibility, they could better do
it in software than in hardware. Some may argue that the current MSX
emulators are not perfect yet. But remember that the typical MSX emulator
is written by a single person in his spare time. A team of full-time
programmers could make a near-perfect MSX emulator in a matter of months.

I think MSX only has a chance in a field where its limitations may be
benefits: low-cost, low-power, small. A portable game computer, like the
GameBoy. You could download games (DSK or ROM format) from the net, into a
flash ROM. There are plently of games available right now, ASCII only has
to buy the rights.

Remember, the only reason (from a commercial standpoint) for making a
device MSX compatible is to run existing software. Writing new software is
easier on a 32-bit RISC processor. And those do fit into VLSI nowadays...
And as I already said, existing software means games. Ofcourse, once the
device is made, it can run other software too (email client, organiser).
But those are not a reasons to choose MSX in the first place.

Bye,
                Maarten