On Fri, 8 Sep 2000, Maarten ter Huurne wrote:

> > > For Linux, the best solution would be to write a serial driver for
> > > JoyNet. Then pppd can be used to connect to UZIX and you can use the
> > > existing PPP network device.
> >
> > Not at all. Linux knows the `network driver' as a special object. I should
> > just write a network driver, so the parallel port is treated as a network
> > device. Then you can just use the connection as if it is an ethernet card
> > , which means there is no need for a point to point link. It also means
> > that UZIX will need to use 4 byte host addresses (actually interface
> > addresses), at least in the JUMP driver.
>
> One advantage of PPP is that there are very little modifications necessary in
> UZIX. Another advantage is that host configuration can be done using PAP. If
> JUMP is treated as ethernet, UZIX has to be configured manually or we would
> have to write a DHCP client for it.

I do not have experience with that. But I don't think doing it manually is
much work. On my linux box it is just one ifconfig statement. Do you think
it would be more difficult on a MSX?

> > > You can also make a user-mode solution, that sends stdin over JoyNet and
> > > sends JoyNet input to stdout. That program can then be connected to pppd
> > > using pipes. It's less flexible than a kernel driver, but it's also
> > > easier to write
> >
> > Not at all. Just hacking the plip driver is done in a few minutes.
>
> Are you experienced or optimistic? ;)

Both :P

Bye,

 main(){int  c[4]   ,x=4  ,l=getpid()  ,i;;   for(  srand(l);c[  x]=-   rand
()%6         ,x--   ;);;  for(         ;44>   x;){  char         a[9] ,*p=
 "%.1f\n",   b[9];x=i=0;  gets(a);for   (l=4 ;l--   ;)x+=-(a[l]  -=48)==
       (b[l  ]=c[   l]);  ;for           (l=0;16    >i;l         =++i %4)x
+=(b[i/4]+   a[l]   ?0:(  a[l]=b[i/4]     =10))     ;printf(p,x  *.1)   ;};}

****
Problems? contact [EMAIL PROTECTED] See also http://www.faq.msxnet.org/