Manuel Bilderbeek wrote:
> > ones developed by Sony, Philips, Sanyo, etc., 'cause of a very bad,
> > restrictive law: "Lei de Informatica". I have cursed it many times... =3D)
> What does this law say?

Basicly, that one couldn't import a computer.
Actually, it was more detailed than that, but
it made extremely difficult for a "normal"
person like us to legally import and own any
computer.

> Is Gradiente still alive? And Sharp Brazil?

Both companies are alive and well. A rumor said
that Sharp ceased production of their HotBit
because of pressure from the Japanese, who
didn't want one of their branches selling an
MSX -- in Japan, they had their own computer,
the (drools madly) X68000.

Today, Sharp works basicly in the same line as
in that age: audio and video stuff. Gradiente
is into the same business, but also resells a
lot of popular products from big foreign com-
panies like Nokia, JVC and Nintendo. They just
redress and rename a product and sell it under
license. Today, this is done with Nokia cell
phones and JVC VCRs. Nintendo products are still
branded as Nintendo.

[]s,

   -----    Parn (ICQ#1693182)
 /| | | |\