Believe me, the drives aren't identical.

The original MSX trubo R drive uses a single foil-cable (if foil = 'folie'
in english) which is about 25 pins and incorporates both power supply and
drive control. A normal PC-drive has 34 pin drive control flat-cable and
separate 4 pin power supply. I do remember somebody from MSX-Club Gouda
managed to fit a normal PC-drive in the MSX turbo R... The method was
published once in a Dutch MSX magazine. I can't recall the issue though...

The Panasonic drive (used in MSX turbo R) also has a little piece of
hardware to detect whether a disk is changed and notifies the controler.
AFAIK it works only on MSX-DOS 2. A normal PC-drive misses that feature.

Remember a HD-drive for PC needs some adjustments to act as a normal
DD-drive. My hardware knowlegde is too little to know what is changed...

At 17:54 1-5-01 -0400, you wrote:
>try playing with jumpers and/or dip switches...I guess the drives are
>identical...
>
>"C.B" wrote:
> >
> > Hello!
> >
> > I was wondering if anyone had succefully fitted a pc-drive (standard 3.5")
> > into a turbo-r.
> >
> > I have tried my self with no luck. i can read the disk directory, and some
> > files, but not boot msxdos or boot msx games.
> >
> > If someone can help - please write to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >
> > -Claus- ***Denmark***
> >
> > --
>
>--
>Jorge Vidal Wulff
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>ICQ #: 14288604
>Licenciatura en ciencia de la computación.
>Depto. de Matemática y ciencia de la Computación.
>Universidad de Santiago de Chile - USACH.
>
>--

GreeTz, BiFi

Visit my Home Page at www.bifi.msxnet.org
mail me at: [EMAIL PROTECTED]