On Sat, 28 Dec 2002 18:06:12 +0100, Laurens Holst wrote:

  Hi,

>I am just thinking, it should be possible to 'autodetect' the matrix-to-key
>mappings by manually manipulating the value of the NEWKEY (#FBE5) matrix in
>the system RAM... If you reset the bits in the matrix one by one, and store
>the resulting ASCII codes in a table, right?

  Hummm... it may works. I had never tried though. (^=

>And oh, the ID in the BIOS ROM is probably only used what keyboard layout is
>presented to the user. This is useful, but in another way :). If you want to
>use the keys AWSD as a secondary control method (alternative to cursor keys
>for a 2nd player for example), it would be pretty useful to know whether the
>player is using a regular QWERTY keyboard or for example a French AZERTY
>one, in which case you should check for the keys QZSD instead.

  Yup. This can be useful in those cases.

>One more thing, I think that rows 6-10 of they keyboard matrix (which
>contain the function keys and the cursor keys - used a lot in games I would
>think) *are* pretty much the same on all the different kind of layouts. Can
>you confirm this, based on your findings?? This would certainly ease things
>up for applications not requiring text input (which is mostly the case).

  You are right, it looks like those positions on key matrix are fixed.
Some people said the numbers on row 0 and 1 are fixed too.

  []'s

  Daniel Caetano
  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

..."A necessidade de criatividade e' o que contribui para a
mudanca. A criatividade mantem o criador vivo." (Frank Herbert)
http://www.caetano.eng.br/ - This OS/2 system uptime is 0 days 00:32 hours.