Joost Yervante Damad wrote:
Again, ideas are not copyrightable. They are patentable in some
countries, which is bad enough.

You're referring to so-called 'software patents'. I don't think they have anything to do with this, and I'm against them fully.

Games are very much copyrightable, because they are a creative creation, just like a book or an article or a song or a drawing, etc.
In fact, a computer game is little more than a combination of all those things.

All for I know, they only were about the name 'Tetris'. If you make a
Tetris-clone called 'spinning dropping blocks' there is as far as I know
no way to sue you, except as 'bullying'. I doubt one can take copyright
on such generic shapes as those from tetris.

http://atarihq.com/tsr/special/tetrishist.html

Interestingly, most tetris rip-offs use different blocks than the original. Guess why...

Anyway, I have the feeling you believe copyrights to be a bad thing! :\

Greetz,
        Patriek