Diederick de Vries wrote:

Hi all,

Another (partly) fat16 related issue. I'm using xcopy to copy directories and files from fat12 partitions to a fat16 partition. At first all went fine, but now it returns

*** Invalid attributes

after the first file in every directory it makes, and then it stops. When I continue copying the remaining files in that directory using copy, all goes well. A "help attr" reveals that using dir I can find out what exactly are the attributes of a file, however, dir's help page doesn't mention anything about that. So I have two questions:

1. How do I find out what the attributes of a file are in DOS2?
2. Are there any reports of xcopy not working properly?

Hm, I remember having the same problem a long time ago.
If memory serves me well, the problem is as follows:

I suspect you're trying to copy files with a command similar to
'XCOPY A:\FROMHERE B:\TOHERE' or 'XCOPY A:\MYSTUFF .'
to copy to the current dir.

The trick is to CHDIR to the target dir and then execute
'XCOPY <sourcedir>'.  So, you don't mention the target dir
in the XCOPY command! Dunno if it's a bug or a feature :-S

Good luck :-)

   Eric