On 2009/7/23 Laurens Holst <laurens.nos...@grauw.nl> wrote:
> (Dutch below)
>
> Hello folks,
>
> It pains me to say, but after 10 years of organising the MSX fair Bussum,
> I’ve decided that last year’s fair has been the last. I’m not sufficiently
> involved with the MSX scene anymore to be organising this thing. And 10 is a
> nice round number, too :).

It is indeed a bit painful to see another annual MSX event die,
especially one that has lasted for such a long time..
Bussum (and Zandvoort before it) has given me many fond memories, and
gave me (and many others) the opportunity to purchase lots of MSX
soft- and hardware.

Also with the 24-hours marathon I got the opportunity to get to know a
group of MSXers on a more personal level, which led to some wonderful
friendships. For me MSX nowadays is more a social thing, and I've
especially missed the marathon the last couple of years, but I still
appreciated  the post-summer meetup opportunity, which usually
included some rounds of joyful SingStar with you all!

For all this I would like to thank you Laurens! (and Jaap Hoogendijk
of course, for starting it with Zandvoort).
Bussum has been a great experience, which will be missed.

> I hope someone else will take initiative to organise a replacement fair. If
> you have questions about organising a fair I’ll be happy to try and answer
> them. I’ll definitely come look around! And of course don’t forget the MSX
> fair in Nijmegen on january 24th.

I would like to see if there is a possibility for organising a
replacement fair (perhaps with Anne?), preferably with a marathon,
however due to my upcoming migration to Norway, this might be a bit
difficult :)
It could be a good idea to see if we can interest non-MSX communities
for this as well though, to perhaps get a bit fresh blood into our
community.

Having visited the all-oldskool-platforms-are-go demoscene party
Outline 2009 (which originally also was an Atari-only event), showed
me that there isn't much difference between the communities; we are
basically all geeks who love a heavily outdated system from the
eighties, and love pushing it (or seeing it being pushed) beyond its
perceived technical limits.

Having said that, let's all try to come up with ideas for how we can
build an F5-to-continue option into Bussum :)

-Filip H.F. "FiXato" Slagter