I also saw a note on an earlier gettext build configuration in msys (not msys2) that it was built without glade support, but I cannot yet figure out which switches they turned on or off to get that to happen. That may be totally irrelevant since it was for gettext v 0.18.3, although that version did have some gtkbuilder support, I think. (https://sourceforge.net/p/mingw/mpmkr/ci/5ca4ef0371484fb3c862285b084f7865fba68999/tree/gettext/README.gettext-0.18.3.1-1-mingw32)

I feel like I may need to rebuild xgettext with the right support for glade/gtkbuilder, and I would like to fix up the PKGBUILD file for it if I find out what is going on, but I don't know how to make use of the PKGBUILD system in the first place.

Matt

On 5/20/2017 7:40 PM, Alan W. Irwin wrote:
On 2017-05-20 13:18-0400 Matthew A. Postiff wrote:

mingw64 xgettext (0.19.8) is failing to process xml files. 0.19.7 on mingw64 behaved same.

$ xgettext --language=glade ../templates/gtkbuilder.*.xml -o bibledit.pot
C:\msys64\mingw64\bin\xgettext.exe: warning: file '../templates/gtkbuilder.bulkspellingdialog.xml' extension 'xml' is unknown; will try

Same command in msys2 window gives basically the same error:

xgettext: warning: file '../templates/gtkbuilder.bulkspellingdialog.xml' extension 'xml' is unknown; will try C

Same command on Ubuntu 16.04 (xgettext 0.19.7) runs this command just fine and produces output.

Any ideas? Thanks,

Hi Matthew:

One possibility is --language=glade might be a special case where you
are up against a soft package dependency error for the MinGW-w64/MSYS2
gettext package.  For example, on Debian Jessie the package
dependencies of gettext are as follows:

Depends: libc6 (>= 2.17), libffi6 (>= 3.0.4), libpcre3 (>= 1:8.35),
libselinux1 (>= 1.32), zlib1g (>= 1:1.2.2)
Recommends: libglib2.0-data, shared-mime-info, xdg-user-dirs

Some of those are not mentioned in
<https://github.com/Alexpux/MSYS2-packages/blob/master/gettext/PKGBUILD>.
I am not sure whether any of those unmentioned dependencies are
relevant to --language=glade support, but just in case one of them is,
I suggest you try installing the corresponding MinGW-w64/MSYS2 package
(assuming it exists) just in case that might make a difference to
--language=glade support.

Note, I am just lurking on this list at the moment with no practical
experience (yet) using MinGW-w64/MSYS2.  And I have no experience
using xgettext.  So I am relying solely on my package dependency
expertise in answering you, and you should keep that caveat in
mind.

Alan
Alan W. Irwin

Linux-powered Science