Workshop on Example-Based Machine Translation

Hosted by MT SUMMIT X
Phuket, Thailand

September 12-16, 2005

Workshop URL: http://www.computing.dcu.ie/~away/EBMT2.html

Co-chairs: Michael Carl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, IAI, Saarbruecken;
Andy Way <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, School of Computing, Dublin
City University

Following the successful EBMT workshop in 2001
<http://www.compapp.dcu.ie/~away/EBMT.html> at the MT Summit VIII
in Santiago de Compostela, Spain, this
is the second workshop of its kind. EBMT approaches have evolved since
2001, with some even reaching commercial maturity. Furthermore, a number
of new and innovative approaches have been seen. Their common
characteristics are to exploit and integrate a number of knowledge
resources, such as linguistics and statistics (or symbolic and numerical
techniques) for integration into a single framework. In this way,
rule-based morphological, syntactic and/or semantic information is
combined with knowledge extracted from bi- or monolingual texts which is
then re-used in the translation process. We seek to assemble approaches
to machine translation which go beyond the purely statistical and/or
rule-based paradigms. We welcome visionary and technical descriptions,
reports of empirical research as well as feasibility studies and system
demonstrations. We would welcome contributions on any of the following
topics and sub-headings:

   * descriptions of 'pure' EBMT systems
         o knowledge resources used
         o representation of numeric and symbolic knowledge
   * descriptions of 'hybrid' systems
         o integration of EBMT with rule-based methods
         o integration of EBMT with statistical methods
   * (semi-)automatic preparation of existing mono/bi/multilingual
     corpora for EBMT
         o extraction of bi/multilingual texts from the web
         o preparation of treebanks for EBMT
         o bi/multilingual alignment/bracketing/parsing
         o inference of mono/bi/multilingual grammars
         o inference of bi/multilingual transfer rules
   * evaluation of EBMT results and/or comparison with other MT systems
   * considerations on domain-(in)dependence of EBMT systems
   * computational and/or system complexity of EBMT systems

In addition, we plan to have a panel session focusing on future
perspectives for EBMT. The idea is that this session complements the
envisaged panel in the main programme which aims to focus on the
continuing convergence of EBMT and SMT.

Publication

There will be a common publication format for all workshops in line with
the main conference proceedings. These will be the usual book format for
conference proceedings as well as CD-ROM. However, it is anticipated
that the proceedings will be published more widely, as we did in [Carl
and Way, 2003] . We have approached relevant publishers in this regard.

Important Dates

   * Paper Submission: 31st May 2005
   * Notification of acceptance: 24th June 2005
   * Camera Ready Papers: 22nd July 2005
   * Workshop takes place: 16th September 2005

Mail your submissions in PDF format only, max. 8pp., by the deadline,
to [EMAIL PROTECTED]. Authors are requested to keep their papers
anonymous and submit separate cover pages with the following information:
  • paper title,
  • author's name(s), affiliation(s), address(es), and e-mail address(es),
  • 100--200 word abstract
  • some keywords for classifying the submission.
Attendance Fee

Details of registration procedures, including registration fees, will be
included here when they have been announced. We still expect that
the attendance fee for our workshop will be approx. $70.

Programme Committee
   * Sivaji Bandyopadhyay, Jadavpur University, Kolkata, India.
   * Ralf Brown, Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, US.
   * Ilyas Cicekli, Bilkent University, Ankara, Turkey.
   * Walter Daelemans, University of Antwerp, Belgium.
   * Eduard Hovy, ISI, University of Southern California, US.
   * Sadao Kurohashi, University of Tokyo, Japan.
   * Philippe Langlais, RALI, University of Montreal, Canada.
   * Yves Lepage, ATR, Kyoto, Japan.
   * Stella Markantonatou, ILSP, Athens, Greece.
   * Stephen Richardson, Microsoft, US.
   * Satoshi Shirai, NTT, Kawasaki, Japan.
   * Michel Simard, Xerox Research Center Europe, Grenoble, France.
   * Harold Somers, University of Manchester, UK.
   * Oliver Streiter, National University of Kaohsiung, Taiwan.
   * Eiichiro Sumita, ATR, Kyoto, Japan.
   * Dekai Wu, HKUST, Hong Kong.