Bisharat.net
PanAfrican Localisation Project

http://www.kwintessential.co.uk/crossculturalnews/
Monday, March 06, 2006
German engineers design new translation tool

A team of engineers at Germany's Karlsruhe University has developed a heldheld
device called the Sign Translator. It uses an integrated camera and software
that recognizes, and translates into English, about 3,000 Chinese characters.

The Sign Translator is the cutting edge of a raft of breakthrough developments
in translation technology coming down the pipeline. Governments in Europe,
rather than corporations, are driving much of the innovation?and with good
reason. Consider the European Union: in Brussels, the world's largest
translation and interpretation operation spends more than $875 million a year
ferrying information in and out of the bloc's 21 official languages.