Assistant Professor Information Science (1.0 FTE) (218025)
The Faculty of Arts of the University of Groningen is a large, dynamic
faculty in the heart of the city of Groningen. It has more than 5000
students and 700 staff members, who are working at the frontiers of
knowledge every day. The Faculty offers a wide range of degree
programmes: 16 bachelor's (BA) programmes and over 40 master's (MA)
specializations. Our research, which is internationally widely
acclaimed, covers the following fields: Archaeology, Cultural Studies,
History, International Relations, Journalism, Language and Literary
Studies, and Linguistics.
The Faculty of Arts is seeking an Assistant Professor in the area of
Information Science (60% teaching, 40% research) for a period of five
years. The candidate will contribute to the bachelor and master
programmes in Information Science. The Information Science programmes in
Groningen focus on Language Technology and Web Technology. In addition,
the candidate will contribute to our master programmes Computer
Communication and Digital Humanities. We are therefore looking for an
experienced researcher in the areas of Language Technology, Web
Technology, Human Computer Communication and Digital Humanities.
The research will be embedded in the Groningen Center for Language and
Cognition (CLCG) research institute, and in particular in the
Computational Linguistics research group.
- teaching course units in the field of Human Computer Communication,
Digital Humanities, Language Technology and Web Technology, within the
aforementioned bachelor and master programmes
- conducting research at a recognized level in one or more of the
- external grant acquisition
- supervising bachelor's and master's theses in the above-mentioned fields.
In addition to a number of basic requirements set by the University of
Groningen, such as excellent social and communication skills,
presentation skills, coaching skills and a results-oriented attitude, we
are looking for a candidate who has a PhD in the field of Information
Science, Language Technology, Computational Linguistics, Digital
Humanities, Artificial Intelligence or a related field and,
in the area of teaching:
- has academic teaching experience at various levels
- has gained the University Teaching Qualification or is prepared to do
so within a year
- is an excellent teacher, as demonstrated by positive teaching evaluations
- is demonstrably able to make concrete contributions to the development
of course units, partly by actively linking teaching to research
- within 2 years non-Dutch candidates have to have knowledge of Dutch to
at least CEFR B2 level (for reading and listening); Dutch candidates
have to have a sufficient knowledge of English (CEFR B2/C1 level for
reading, listening, writing, speaking). The University provides language
courses in Dutch and English.
In the area of research:
- is the author of at least two peer-reviewed international publications
- is able to set up his or her own research line and publish within it,
dovetailing with the profile of the research institute
- has international experience and an international network
- has attracted significant funding.
Conditions of employment
The University of Groningen offers a salary based on qualifications and
experience of between € 3,475 (scale 11 Dutch Universities) and € 5,405
(scale 12) gross per month for a full-time position, plus 8% holiday
allowance and an annual end-of-year bonus of 8.3%. For more detailed
information about working conditions and working for the University of
Groningen, please check: https://www.rug.nl/about-us/work-with-us/
The appointment will be for a period of five years.
The conditions of employment comply with the Collective Labour Agreement
for the University of Groningen (Collective Labour Agreement Dutch
Universities 2015-2016, available in English at: http://www.vsnu.nl).
Job interviews will be held in the week 26-29 March 2018. A short
lecture can be part of the selection procedure.
Date of entry into employment: preferably 1 April 2018 or soon thereafter
How to apply
You may apply for this position until 28 February 23:59h / 1 March 2018
Dutch local time by means of the application form (click on "Apply"
below on the advertisement on the university website).
Applications should include:
- a letter containing your motivation for applying for this position
- a full curriculum vitae (including list of publications and relevant
- the names and contact details of two academic referees.
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For information you can contact:
Prof. G.J. van Noord, +31 50 3637811, g.j.m.van.noord at rug.nl
<https://mailman.uib.no/listinfo/corpora> Ms Drs. C. Mast, +31 50
3635855, c.mast at rug.nl <https://mailman.uib.no/listinfo/corpora>
(please do not use for applications)
Mt-list site list