CFP: 2020 Duolingo Shared Task on Translation + Paraphrase1st call for
participation in STAPLE: Simultaneous Translation And Paraphrase for
Language Education

Duolingo AI Research <https://research.duolingo.com/> is excited to
announce a new shared task on translation and paraphrasing to be held as
part of the Workshop on Neural Generation and Translation (WNGT)
<https://sites.google.com/view/wngt20/>, collocated with ACL 2020
<https://acl2020.org/> in Seattle.

Visit the shared task website here: sharedtask.duolingo.com

Sign up on the mailing list here:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/duolingo-sharedtask-2020

BACKGROUND

Machine translation systems typically produce a single output, but in
certain cases, it is desirable to have many possible translations of a
given input text. This situation is common with Duolingo
<https://www.duolingo.com/> (the world's largest language-learning
platform), where some learning happens via translation-based exercises, and
grading is done by comparing learners' responses against a large set of
human-curated acceptable translations.

SHARED TASK

In this shared task, participants start with English prompts and generate
high-coverage sets of plausible translations in five other languages. For
evaluation, we provide sentences with handcrafted, field-tested sets of
possible translations, weighted and ranked according to actual learner
response frequency. We will also provide high-quality automatic
translations of each input sentence that may (optionally) be used as a
reference/anchor point, and also serves as a strong baseline. In this way,
we expect the task to be of interest to diverse researchers in machine
translation, MT evaluation, multilingual paraphrase, and language education
technology fields.

IMPORTANT DATES

13-Jan-2020: Data release (phase 1): TRAIN set + starter code

02-Mar-2020: Data release (phase 2): blind DEV set

30-Mar-2020: Data release (phase 3): blind TEST set

06-Apr-2020: Final predictions deadline

08-Apr-2020: Final results announcement

13-Apr-2020: Draft system papers due

04-May-2020: System paper reviews returned

18-May-2020: Camera-ready system papers due

~9-Jul-2020: Workshop at ACL in Seattle!

ORGANIZERS

Klinton Bicknell (Duolingo)

Chris Brust (Duolingo)

Stephen Mayhew (Duolingo)