IIRC I only half did this job (trying to make it possible to have the
Lua and other read-only files located remotely from the executable, as
is the *done* *thing* on *nix {well, except possibly MacOS platforms!})
I had a fancy bit of run-time code that, if it were not found, would go
looking for the LuaGlobal.lua and once found remember where it was for
next time; at the same time the package creation process - which I
intended to be a "make build-package" type makefile step would inject a
suitable, platform specific, default location to start with.  You can
see the remnants of the code I did get into place in the notes in the
qmake src.pro file about how to replace the default "make" for that
build option with "sudo" and use "make" as a command line argument to
the latter.  Where I came unstuck was with working out what the
"default" was to be for "other" i.e. not (*nix && ( not MacOS )) OSs...

It was intended that the LUA_DEFAULT_DIR was to be where a manufactured
package - or rather "sudo make install" would *install* the Lua files
and have the built Mudlet application then use that as it's goto place
to *find* the things at run-time - with a provision to then look
elsewhere if it failed.  For example a Linux system packager would
typically use something like "/usr/share/mudlet", someone building it at
home on a system that they have SysOp permissions on and want to share
Mudlet with family members might use "/usr/local/share/mudlet" and for
personal use only they may try something like "~/share/mudlet" or leave
it blank to leave the files in a subdirectory of the executable (those
last two were just ideas I just have and never formerly considered!)

--
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Mudlet
Makers, which is subscribed to Mudlet.

Title:
  No obvious way to set LUA_DEFAULT_DIR

Status in Mudlet:
  New

Bug description:
  My understanding of

https://github.com/Mudlet/Mudlet/commit/ee487888f219567635fb8334d980fd3fedd1f609
  was that you could pass LUA_DEFAULT_DIR the location of the installed
  Lua files at package creation time, but it does not seem to be the
  case? It seems you have to actually hack the source files - just like
  you had to before - if you'd like to use a different directory...