Hello,

One of the oldest-defined features of Muldis D, intentionally supported from the beginning, is the idea of trying to be radix-independent; so you could write all of your numerics in any base you want, from 2 upwards but practically limited to 36, where column values 0..9 represent themselves and A..Z represent 10..35, the most common examples being bases 2, 8, 10, 16.

My question is whether anyone would ever want to write numbers in bases other than the above 4 using a common shared syntax, or whether this feature would unnecessarily clutter the language and I should take it out.

Currently the only other language I know of that supports this is Perl 6, and Perl 6 even goes further in that you can express higher bases as comma-delimited lists of column value in a declared base.

Do you know of any other language that currently supports, say, writing base-3 or base-4 or base-12 literals?

Should I excise this feature from Muldis D to make it simpler or is there some benefit to retaining it?

Regardless, I will retain literal support for bases 2,8,10,16 which numerous other languages do support.

In particular, would anyone want to write base-4 literals in particular?

Note that all of the above, for bases 2,4,8,16 anyway, applies to blob literals also.

-- Darren Duncan