Dear group members,

I am an author whose books are used in many school programs to encourage 
children to 
express themselves through writing.  I have launched a free new web site -- 
http://
www.makebeliefscomix.com -- where students can create their own comic strips.  
The site 
offers fun animal and human characters with different moods, thought and talk 
balloons 
to fill in with words, and story prompts.  It's a wonderful resource to spur 
children and 
adults to write, read and communicate their ideas and to practice English, 
Spanish and 
other languages. It is also being used as a tool by educational therapists who 
work with 
deaf and autistic people to help them understand concepts and communicate.  I 
would be 
very appreciative if you would share with your  members and colleagues, or tell 
me whom I 
should contact to share this information. Any list-servs you might suggest 
would be 
welcome.   I need your help because it takes a community to build a community 
resource 
like this.
With thanks,
Bill Zimmerman

Online Educational Comics Launched to Encourage Writing, 
Reading and Storytelling in English, Spanish, French, Italian, German
By Author/Journalist Bill Zimmerman
 –- http://www.makebeliefscomix.com

Dear reader,

I want to share with you news of my newest educational project and also ask for 
your help 
to make it succeed. 

A year ago I launched a new web site -- http:// www.makebeliefscomix.com -- 
where 
children and adults can create their own comic strips.  They can select from 15 
fun 
characters with different moods  -- happy, sad, angry, worried – and write 
words for  
blank talk and thought balloons to make their characters talk and think.  There 
also are 
story ideas and prompts to help users create graphic stories.  

This site can be used by educators to teach language, reading and writing 
skills, and also 
for students in English-as-a-Second-Language programs to facilitate 
self-expression and 
storytelling, as well as computer literacy.  It is now being used in 160 
countries by 
educators. Some educational therapists use it with deaf and autistic people to 
help them 
understand concepts and communicate.  Parents and children can create stories 
together, 
print them to create comic books or email them to friends and family.  Others 
will find the 
site a resource to be creative, calm down and have fun.

Because so many Spanish-speaking users asked us for the ability to write their 
cartoons in 
Spanish as well as in English, we recently upgraded the site to accept words 
written in 
Spanish, including appropriate accent marks. This can be a useful tool for 
someone who is 
learning Spanish as well as someone whose first language is Spanish.   This 
feature is 
being expanded to other  other languages, such as French, Italian and German. 

I am hoping that you will share http://www.makebeliefscomix.com  with your 
colleagues, 
teachers, students or readers of your publications and resource lists.  The 
site is free with 
no advertising.  Any help you might offer in getting word out about this 
project is very 
appreciated.  If you can suggest other people or groups whom I might contact to 
make 
them aware of the site please send me their names, email addresses or phone 
numbers.  
Any list-servs I might join?  Relevant Internet resource sharing groups would 
be helpful, 
too.  It takes a community to build a useful resource like this one. 

As one who learned to read with comic books, I know that creating comic strips 
can help 
people tap into their creativity and practice their language and storytelling 
skills.  The site 
is free and stems from my lifelong mission to create resources that help people 
find their 
voice and express themselves. The concept for makebeliefscomix.com is derived 
from my 
earlier books, Make Beliefs and Make Beliefs for Kids of All Ages (which can be 
found on 
my other web site: http://www.billztreasurechest.com).  A Make Beliefs 
interactive feature 
appeared for 13 years on my syndicated Student Briefing Page for Newsday, and 
in 
National Geographic's World Magazine.

I hope you like http://www.makebeliefscomix.com and will use it in your work 
and 
personal life.  Your feedback is welcome and very helpful.  

With thanks and every good wish,

Bill Zimmerman
([EMAIL PROTECTED])







Visit http://www.multilingualmunchkins.com.  Home of the Multilingual Munchkins 
Playgroup Database. 
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/multilingualmunchkin/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/multilingualmunchkin/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] 
    mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
 

Reply via email to