Ludovic Rousseau wrote:
2010/5/5 Douglas E. Engert <deeng...@anl.gov>:

Ludovic Rousseau wrote:
Hello,

A new major version of pcsc-lite is now available at [1].
This version includes a lot of new code and changes. But I do not
expect regressions.
I will describe the changes and new features later on my blog [2].

As usual, report any bug. Thanks

Changes:
pcsc-lite-1.6.0: Ludovic Rousseau
- redesign the client/server communication:
 * no more shared memory used (allow pcscd and libpcsclite1.so to be on
 different computer and talk over a network)
Is the protocol compatible with Windows?

No. And it is local only. You can't have pcscd and libpcsclite on 2
different systems.

Could this then be used with (or added to) the Unix rdesktop
http://www.rdesktop.org/
(The Windows Remote Desktop Connection allows sharing a smart card.)

rdesktop already uses pcsc-lite and support remote smart card.

I see it now, but on the systems I have looked at it was not configured to
use it and --help does not show it. I will have to try it out!

 * no more difference between short and extended APDU
 * no more use of a /var/run/pcscd/pcscd.events/ directory. events are
 sent through the socket
 * simpler command format between client and server
 The side effect is that you are not able to mix an old pcscd with a
 new libpcsclite1.so or the reverse. SCardEstablishContext() will fail
 unless you update both sides of the communication.
Does an application have to be recompiled, or can I just replace
libpcsclite1.so

The API and ABI of libpcsclite.so.1 is the same. So no need to recompile.
You just have to upgrade pcscd and libpcsclite at the same time.

The only problematic case is if you linked libpcsclite.so _statically_
with your application. But you do not do that, right?

Never use static...

Bye

--

 Douglas E. Engert  <deeng...@anl.gov>