On 24/03/14 14:10 , Ludovic Rousseau wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> On Sun, Mar 23, 2014 at 3:56 PM, Ludovic Rousseau
>> <ludovic.rouss...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Add support of DRIVER_OPTION_DISABLE_PIN_RETRIES
>>>       The Gemalto pinpad reader sends a VERIFY command with no PIN value
>>>       in order to retreive the remaining retries from the card.  Some
>>>       cards (like the OpenPGP card) do not support this.
>>>       It is now possible to disable this behavior from the Gemalto
>>>       Pinpad and Covadis Véga Alpha.
>>
>> Shouldn't this be the default behaviour, as to make sure that no
>> unwanted commands are sent to the card by default ?
>
> That would remove a "nice" feature from the pinpad reader.
>
> I could use a smarter solution and automatically disable the extra
> VERIFY command only for known problematic cards according to their
> ATR.
> Would that be OK?

I don't know which readers are affected by this, but if those readers
anyway require support from software (enabling pinpad support, setting
language and messages, using the "right" verify start block) I'd say
that it would be OK to require extra code to enable "better features"
than just "normal feature" - and a functioning pinpad that works with
any card, without unexpected communication to the card.

My recent work has made me doubt in the overall usefulness of using
ATR-s as generic identifiers/classifiers of cards (other than localized
hacks for even stupider bugs).

Jut my 0.02€

--
Martin