RBJ,

I had a look at your theory, and compared it to my approach (dare not
call it a theory, as it was not as rigorously derived). The following
is how I imagine we thought things out.

Both of us wanted to preserve some aspect(s) of the known-to-be-good
constant-voltage crossfade envelopes, and to generalize from those the
envelope functions for arbitrary values of the correlation
coefficient.

You saw that the odd component o(t) determined the shape of the
constant-voltage envelopes. For those, the even component had to be
e(t) = 1/2 to satisfy the symmetry a(t) + a(-t) = 1 required in
constant-voltage crossfades. So apparently o(t) was capturing the
essential aspects of the crossfade envelope. You showed how to
recalculate e(t) for different values of the correlation coefficient
in such a way that o(t) was preserved.

I, on the other hand, chose that the ratio a(t)/a(-t) (using your
notation) should be preserved for each value of t. To accomplish this,
one could first do the crossfade using constant-voltage envelopes and
then apply to the resulting signal a volume envelope to adjust for any
deviation from perfect positive correlation. Or equivalently, the
compensation could be incorporated into a(t), which I showed how to do
in the case of a linear constant-voltage crossfade. Other
constant-voltage crossfade envelopes than linear could be handled by a
time deformation function u(t) which gives the time at which the
linear constant-voltage envelope function reaches the value of the
desired constant-voltage envelope function at time t. u(t) would then
used instead of t in the formula for a(t) derived for generalization
of the linear crossfade for arbitrary r.

I believe your requirement for r >= 0 could be relaxed. For example,
if one is creating a drum-loop, then it would probably make most sense
to put the loop points in the more quiet areas between the transients.
And there you might only have noise that is independent between the
two loop points, thus giving values of the correlation coefficient
slightly positive or slightly negative. Because the length of a drum
loop is fixed, there might not be so much choice in placement of the
loop points, and a spot giving a slightly negative r might actually be
the most natural choice. I do not think your formulas will fall apart
just as long as -1 < r <= 1.

-olli