so was (or is) it Line6 or was it someone else? (this is my excuse for responding when i said you could have the last word.)

i sayed:

"was" is not the same as "is".

On Dec 28, 2010, at 6:54 PM, Nigel Redmon wrote:

It "was" designed in. It "is" in products that I could go buy at guitar center today. Anyway, moot point--I've never maintained that it couldn't be done a different way, and better.

"... I can tell you that windowed sinc is involved..."

sounds pretty affirmative. it's involved. not maybe involved nor sometimes involved.

The English language does not make such assumptions in the absence of limiting qualifiers.

 :-\

okay...

so which is more faithful to that maxim?

1. "... I can tell you that windowed sinc is involved..." when one allows that it might not be involved.

or

2. "YES necessarily, if it's half-band." when one makes no promises if it's not half-band.

Most of the keyboard samplers ever built use linear interpolation. Yuck.

i'm with you there. unless a lot of memory was spent on expanding the sample file or, using a Creative term, the "wavetable" by a factor of, say, 64x or 128x or 256x using decent interpolation. if you did that when loading a particular instrument or keyzone sample file (and adjust the phase-increment in the phase accumulator proportionately), then linear interpolation wouldn't sound half-ba_d. but it would use a bit more real-estate on silicon than a little interpolation engine in an ASIC or FPGA. but if i were doing this with a SHArC or something, i might consider expanding or interpolating the sampled sounds or tones by a large factor during Program Load (it might take a little too much time for some users) into memory if RAM is considered cheap, and then use linear interpolation during the real-time playback. each voice would cost less (that using polyphase FIR interpolation in realtime) and i could get more polyphony with each DSP. but there would be a delay cost at Program Load time.

bestest,

--

r b-j                  r...@audioimagination.com