OK, for the biquad, consider that you'll have to recalculate all of the
coefficients as the LFO value changes the Fc (or Q). And because you have so
many coefficients, it's difficult to avoid calculations (and those divisions
are a lot more expensive than multiplies, btw) nd do table lookups, because
small errors between them stand to make a larger error in the filter. And a lot
of opportunity for clicks--a lot of values that have to be smoothed if you're
making a big Fc or Q change. (To get an idea of what's going on with the
coefficients, you can write a little program to change FC linearly in steps
from say 20 Hz to 20 kHz, and plot the changes of the coefficients.)

Now look at the digital state variable, or the Moog-like 4x one-pole sections.
You have a single value that changes for a change in Fc. Not only that, but
it's a lot closer to being a straight line--you may be able to hook the LFO
directly to it in some cases, with a little scaling and offset. Or, more
likely, and not much more work, run it through an interpolated table. And if
you need to smooth it, to avoid pops when changing settings, you only have one
value to smooth.

(and thanks--but there are a lot of nice guys here ;-)