From: music-dsp-boun...@music.columbia.edu
[mailto:music-dsp-boun...@music.columbia.edu] On Behalf Of Andreas Beisler
Sent: 18 March 2011 14:45
To: music-dsp@music.columbia.edu
Subject: Re: [music-dsp] Frequency-dependent latency of a filter

I guess I see the whole thing a bit more naive. And without the actual
implementation details in mind. Yes, the implementation comprises of a
DFT and that means we're dealing with everlasting sinusoids. And that's
already a problem.

But I see it more like having a signal that his made of finite
sinusoidal components of possibly changing frequency, and sending this
signal through a filter. None of these components will be present at the
output of that filter before they are actually input. That's what
causality means for me. The system has a delay, and it is frequency
dependent, if we are not dealing with a linear-phase filter.

This is the delay I am interested in, and I think groupdelay is not the
right measure for that, since it can be negative for a causal filter as
you say and this doesn't fit with my view that the filter is causal.

I could think of a method to measure it (I didn't implement it and I
don't know if it would actually work). But you could i.e. make a
linear-phase filterbank with very narrow bands. Each of these bands you
feed through that filter. Afterwards you do crosscorrelation of each
filtered band with each unfiltered band. This should yield an estimate
of the delay. It just seems an awful lot of work to estimate the delay
of the filter, doesn't it?

Andreas