On January 9, 2012 at 3:02:04 PM Veronica Merryfield
veronica.merryfield@shaw.cawrote:

> The Synergy was also an FM machine and could do everything the DX-7 could do
> just it wasn't packaged or priced that way.

I would say, in fact, that the Synergy was _primarily_ an "FM" machine. One of
the enduring myths about it is that it depended on additive synthesis to
achieve its sounds.  While it _could_ sum the output of up to 16 of its
32 oscillators to form a note, few (if any) of the sounds provided for it
actually did.  Study of the available Synergy documentation reveals that most
sounds used frequency modulation in large part (or, rather, the same phase
modulation that Yamaha's DX synths used).  Digital Keyboards called it "Phase
Modulation and Cancellation", the better to confuse it (intentionally) with the
Synergy's method of amplitude control and thereby distance it from Yamaha's
so-called "FM".  Despite having a better implementation of "FM" than the DX7
you needed a computer to program your own voices (a Kaypro II or equivalent
CP/M machine).  For this and other reasons the Synergy never was a real threat
to Yamaha, so all of DK's
 worry was for not.

FYI, this site is a treasure trove of information on the Synergy:
http://users.ece.gatech.edu/lanterma/synergy/