I meant to speak in a slight scientific philosophical way as in to determine what the "direction of the research" in this specific group of people might be, referring to the more general "logic of research" or "systematic IT behaviour" I have often observed.

> But perhaps it depends
> on some very specific idea of what the "collective software world" is.

Preferably a perfectly random sample of java-applet builders (I enjoy a few of those, no misunderstanding), C and other serious and fundamental language programmers in hobby, industrial and government/defense worlds, and perhaps script maintainers for a various types of education institutes, and what else there is in the great wide world of "programmers", and all of which of course was hopelessly "tempted" or whatever appropriate term by groups of people aspiring for more power in there than their merits or reasonable ambitions warrant.

I meant that the thought "programming is power because.." has (at least by me) been found to be seldom all too correct, and that that pertains to philosophical and scientific general truths, too.

I mean, if I'd leave it to and IT type of "programmer" fellow human being to come up with a manner to solve for all the currents and voltages in an electrical circuit, the outcomes wouldn't very exhilarate me, already before the attempt would start...

And if I then would inspect the progress of such a project, I'd find that the IT-ish programmers have little sense of personal hono(u)r and lofty thoughts about life in general, and certainly therefore not about music. Thus, I cannot imagine a decent software DSP discussion without people feeling their private musical tastes half raped to death unless the participants observe such issue, or everybody has a very constitution and stomach.

It's like discussing Open Source software with mr R. Stallman: there are few people who contributed more, but few people inthe "wrong" IT corner will even respect that fact.

So I'm all for a "Gödel, Escher, Bach"- type of discussion, but it's hard to believe whole groups of people wouldn't dearly love to monkey a specific feedback mathematical equation to create more disputable music with, and I'm against that because I know those same people will have little self control. That doesn't stop me from observing the whole world of Open Suorse appears to reside under a cloud of challenges for even small type of jobs to be done, which cloud contains huge skill-challenges normally only justified in a heavy engineering education (which I did follow). I don't like that situation.

Theo V.