I must say I'm happy to have learnt the rudiments of Csound in 1996 and
not today. The problem is not so much its shortcomings (I partly agree
with Ross on them) but its "longcoming" list of opcodes and ever-expanding
list of new features. Searching the manual for the correct name for a
one-pole filter and whatnot becomes a distraction. But I still find it
excellent for throwing together a custom effect and sometimes for
algorithmic composition. At least in cases when I'm too lazy or too
ignorant to do it in C++.

> Csound is an evolving language, still after more than 25 years, and there
> are many features you might not be aware of. The recently-introduced new
> parser has opened up a bunch of new possibilities, including that of new
> languages to control the engine.
>
> We are in active discussion regarding the development of Csound 6, which
> will include more new features and possibilities. The community has been
> very active and engaged in telling us what they would like to see there.
>
> Victor

Looking forward to the new version, nevertheless!

Risto
[ != computer musician by the strictest of standards]