On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 12:25 AM, Julian Schmidt
<julian_schm...@chipmusik.de> wrote:
> Am 09.04.2012 23:22, schrieb Olli Niemitalo:
>
>> On Mon, Apr 9, 2012 at 11:32 PM, Julian Schmidt
>> <julian_schm...@chipmusik.de>  wrote:
>>>
>>> I really think it is an aliasing problem.
>>> but not due to the wrong wavetable content, but due to a cheap audio
>>> codec with poor filters.
>>> [...]
>>> even when i output a single 440hz sine i get harmonics starting at -48db
>>> up to nyquist and beyond.
>>
>> Lemme guess your wavetable size is 256? That's the amount of
>> distortion that would be expected from using "no interpolation". If
>> that's what you have then the codec is not at fault.
>
> i use code similar to what RBJ has posted with linear interpolation
> (although with a tablesize of 256 at the moment).

Okay, that should give a -96 dB spectral distortion floor for a
single-sinusoid wavetable, compared to your -48 dB. If the codec is
causing all that then it should also show up if you use a sin()
function instead of playing back the wavetable. I'm just a bit
skeptical because the specs of the codec don't seem that bad.

-olli