On 4/12/12 10:06 PM, Eric Brombaugh wrote:
On 04/12/2012 05:53 PM, robert bristow-johnson wrote:

it was pretty spare in the mail. essentially just the board and a cute
little card in a bubble box.

Yes, that's pretty much all you get. Bring your own mini-USB cable.

the card has some "Getting started" instructions and number 5. says to
got to http://www.st.com/stm32f4-discovery tutorial, and i'll do that
soon. it also mentions dev toolchains: Altium Atolic, IAR and Keil. do
these cost money or are they free. what are you guys using? my PC is XP
ca. 2006.

i will need some hand-holding until i can get this thing to simply pass
a signal (through the ARM), then i'll write some code for it.

well, i just figgered out that this thing has a D/A only. no A/D. so no "passing" audio.

i guess i can try to do some simple synthesis with it (like wavetable), but no MIDI connector. if there is a traditional serial connection (what we used to call a UART in the olden days), then maybe something MIDI can be attached.

BTW, i have a simple, but very clearly commented MIDI 1.0 parser in pure-and-simple C if anyone wants it. you still have to dispatch the completed MIDI message, but it does everything else to recognize which kinda MIDI command it is and to group together the correct number of bytes and when it's complete, it tells you and gives you a nice, partially digested MIDI message.

Atollic Truestudio is your basic Eclipse + GCC package which they charge for the full version. A size limited free demo is available. I've installed it and it seems to work fine.

does this mean that both the Eclipse IDE and ARM GCC apps are in this package? i don't have to run down one or the other? and they run in Windoze XP (not Fedora or Umbutu)?

IAR and Keil both provide trial versions but I haven't tried them. Since these are the big established vendors, they have their own unique flavors of IDE, the compilers are proprietary with their own tweaks, pragmas, etc. Size limited demos are available - be prepared to fill in lots of forms and get emails / phonecalls from salesmen.

For a completely free unbundled Eclipse + GCC, check out YAGARTO. Installing this can be a bit of a chore, especially getting the debugger drivers talking to the Discovery board - what's your time worth?

i dunno.  i think not very much, as of late.

is YAGARTO micro$hit XP compatible or is it linux? i can't do linux with my PC.

too bad nobody does this for a Mac.  nice USB connectors on my Mac, too.

--

r b-j                  r...@audioimagination.com