On Dec 16, 2012, at 9:05 AM, music-dsp-requ...@music.columbia.edu wrote:

> In a synthetic system (say a feedback network of waveguides) a
> non-linear element (say a static waveshaper) can be used to disperse
> energy accross the spectrum. I'm wondering whether anything similar
> happens in physical media?
>
> Am I correct to assume that in most cases resonating acoustic objects
> will only resonate at a mode if you put energy into the system at that
> mode? This seems to be the basis of commuted waveguide techniques. Are
> there exceptions/counterexamples?

One important nonlinearity is tension modulation in strings
and membranes. The wave speed of these objects changes with the overall
energy, and so as energy is lost after an excitation, all modes
get shifted downward and we hear the pitch falling. When strings are
very tense, this effect is less audible, and that is probably
why commuted synthesis of the piano (playing the body through the
strings) works OK.  I guess there may be problems with low notes.
I don't think a banjo would work well at all.

Thin shells (like cymbals) have profound nonlinearities due to
their geometry. If you imagine radial cross sections of a cymbal, you have a
kind
of bent spring where the force/displacement curve is different in one direction
than the other.  So the decay is not simple harmonic oscillation, and when
this effect dominates you get all the wonderful mode transfers and chaos.

Scott Van Duyne came up with a clever way to add this kind of effect to a
waveguide, presented in
Pierce. J. R. and S. A. Van Duyne. (1997). "A Passive Nonlinear Digital Filter
Design Which Facilitates Physics-Based Sound Synthesis of Highly Nonlinear
Musical Instruments." Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, 101 (2):
1120-1126.

In general, adding nonlinearities to a physical model while insuring stability
is difficult.  I would recommend Stefan Bilbao's recent "Numerical
Sound Synthesis" very highly.

-Randy