but it's difficult to find info online about the internals of any ARC
techniques.

Do either of these sound like reasonable approaches?

#1 - watch the envelope follower, and if it's been spending too much
time releasing to get back to normal, decrease the release time.
Else, if it hasn't been spending enough time releasing and it often
quickly hits the input, increase the release time.   What I mean from
an implementation standpoint is something like keep track of what % of
the time over the last X milliseconds (100ms perhaps? I don't know...)
that it's been releasing and use that to drive the release time up or
down.  A few numbers need tuning though which makes me feel like maybe
this is not the correct answer since ARC seems to "just work" without
parameters.

#2 - watch the input data within a time window (again, say the last
100ms perhaps?) and see if the heights of the peaks and the depths of
the valleys are pretty much consistent  or if they are wildly all over
the place.  If they are pretty consistent, the compressor should use a
longer release time, but if they are very different from each other, i
should use a faster release time.

What do you guys think / have i missed another, better way to do it?

Thanks!

PS I've also read that some ARC techniques may look at the (loudest?)
frequency of the audio data and use that as the basis for the release
times.  Is that true?  Is there a magic formula for calculating a
release time from frequency? :P  (im thinking they must use a windowed
FFT to get the frequency...)