On Mar 8, 2013, at 10:55 PM, Ross Bencina wrote:

> If your input is MIDI master volume you have to map from the MIDI value range
> to linear gain (perhaps via decibels). Maybe there is a standard curve for
> this?

There may be standards for subsets, such as GM. Or perhaps even a more global
standard nowadays. Dunno. I have many older MIDI hardware synthesizers, from
years when collecting them was almost a sickness. The older ones didn't appear
to follow any standard and in fact even similar models from the same
manufacturer couldn't be expected to follow an identical "company standard"
volume curve.

Maybe there is more consistency nowadays? Tis been many years since buying a
new hardware synth.