On 26/03/2013 6:28 PM, Ross Bencina wrote:
CoreAudio does a lot of this under the hood I think. If you're on Mac
you get relatively stabe timestamps for free.

I should correct that:

My uninformed belief is that CoreAudio does this type of clock recovery under the hood. This is based mostly on observing the relative stability of audio callback timestamps (compared to Windows) and some discussions I've seen about how CoreAudio synchronises driver timestamps and schedules client callbacks.

Some low latency audio driver stacks propagate driver interrupts to userspace more or less directly (one way or another). The alternative is for the driver to poll the hardware position and then call user space -- which introduces callback jitter unless you have (1) really accurate timer callbacks, and (2) a clock recovery mechanism that can work out when to schedule the really accurate timer callback so that it is synchronised with the hardware position.

Ross.