On 2013-11-01, robert bristow-johnson wrote:

just to be clear. the general rule is that an Nth-order polynomial can generate images at frequencies up to the Nth multiple of the frequency of the original baseband image.

Quite so. So in addition, if you want to really keep it clean of aliasing artifacts, you typically want to oversample your nonlinear system as many times over as is the highest polynomial order you're using.

Then there are at at least two troublesome things one the way. First, how overdriven transformers, coils, capacitors and tubes/transistors work. All of them tend to saturate, and when they do, the effect tends to be of ridiculously high order. We're not talking aabout second order, here, but something like 200 before we get to the proper curve even in the steady state, memoryless curve.

And secondly, in the right proportion, purposeful aliasing can actually sound pretty good and just right. I used it to good effect once in my youth, at least. :)
--
Sampo Syreeni, aka decoy - de...@iki.fi, http://decoy.iki.fi/front
+358-40-3255353, 025E D175 ABE5 027C 9494 EEB0 E090 8BA9 0509 85C2