Well, the music-dsp list lives in New York City! And all of the
universities in the city have active computer music programs. Plus there
are lots of freelance developers and several audio-oriented startups. I'd
recommend checking out the various music hack days, hacker spaces, dorkbot,
experimental music venues, etc. All sorts of interesting audio fun
happening in NYC!

best,
douglas