Hello Tobias,
You should also have a look at the BLOO method, explained in this thread a
long time ago
http://music.columbia.edu/pipermail/music-dsp/2009-june/067853.html
That thread is quite long and the discussion pretty animated but you could
get some new ideas from the the paper of George at the link
http://s1gnals.blogspot.it/2008/12/bloo_6897.html and look for additonal
interpretations of in in the thread itself.

Hope to have helped

Marco