I've never heard this phenomenon myself, but I am familiar with it. It is a
psychoacoustic phemonen, and I've heard it referred to as "choo-chooing",
though when I just googled for that I got nothing related, so maybe that's
just a colloquial term amongst the engineers I know. I've never come across
it in any of textbooks on the subject, though I'm sure there are papers
written about it.

Some early hardware dithers found it cheaper to store a table of numbers in
ROM than to calculate random numbers with a PRNGs [1]. Because memory was
so expensive at the time, the length of the loop was chosen to be just long
enough to avoid the "Choo-Choo"ing phenomenon. If I remember correctly from
what the designer of one of those dithers told me, the length of repeat
that causes choo-chooing is very nearly the same for everyone, so it was
pretty each to choose the appropriate loop length. It would be cool to have
a WebAudio demonstration and/or test of this, as Chinmay Pendharkar
suggested.

bjorn

[1] You may have noticed early dithers made vague and strange marketing
claims. Like, "this is not a real dither, but a signal", or "not a dither,
but a bitmapping/bit-reduction scheme" or that they were somehow different
from or better than dither, even though the effect is exactly the same (or,
if anything, arguably worse, because no engineer with access to a halfway
decent PRNG would use a LUT). How the marketing departments of these
companies managed to turn the liability of not having a PRNG into an asset
is just proof that the marketing departments of these companies are a bunch
of mindless jerks who'll be the first against the wall when the revolution
comes.