On 19/06/2014 7:09 PM, Rohit Agarwal wrote:
Enlighten me, does that mean faster tempo or is 10% too much delay for
that?

I think that this conversation is at risk of going off the rails. Make sure that you're asking the right question.

There are a number of different ways that delays can impact a musical performance, including:

- perceived impact of time alignment on "grove" as heard by external listeners

- perceived impact of time jitter (Nigel's D50 example) for performers and listeners.

- effect of self-delay and inter-musician delay on the musical performers.

I think the last point is the one that's relevant here.

Talking about time alignment in techno is not really relevant if we're talking about valve amps for guitarists.

Clearly a 25ms delay post-applied to the rhythm guitar is going to mess with the groove in almost any musical setting. But the real question is whether it's going to mess with the guitarist's performance of the groove if they can hear the delay while they are playing (i.e. can they compensate to recreate the same groove). And then, when comparing to zero latency hardware, at what point does it become trivial to compensate (i.e. doesn't introduce any additional cognitive burden).

I believe that various studies have put the "playable latency" threshold below 8ms. (Sorry, don't have time to look this up but I think that one example is in one of Alex Carot's network music papers).

Ross.