On 30-Jun-14 18:44, Stefan Stenzel wrote:
The tools of BLXX are DC, digital integrators/filters and your BLXX signals that
are bandlimited by definition, no sampling and no nonlinear operation involved.

So as there is no possible source for aliasing, there is no aliasing.

Okay. So in principle, we could construct a BLXX-ed signal by simply integrating DC and bandlimited impulses a sufficient number of times, if necessary correcting the DC to zero along the way. Convincing enough. (A small remark: I belive that, contrarily to the BLIT method, BLXX typically integrates in the continuous time domain. I fail to see any reason why should we prefer discrete-time domain integration. The continuous-time domain integration has the benefit of avoiding any spectral distortion in the hi freq area. Also it can be performed analytically.) This means that in principle "any" piecewise polynomial signal with bandlimited discontinuities of the signal and its derivatives is also bandlimited.

This addresses my original motivation to a large extent: applying BLXX not only to waveforms of stable frequencies, but also to their modulated versions. Although, not completely. Particularly, self-FM sawtooth produces an exponential signal. I wonder, whether exponents (at least those which are slow enough) are bandlimited. After all a good part of the sine signals (which are kind of versions of exponentials) are bandlimited.

So, can we apply the above reasoning to Taylor series expansions (constructing Taylor series by repeated integration of signals)? Especially, if we consider only exponential segments, rather than infinitely long exponentials, then we could apply the above integration scheme an infinite number of times to arrive at the result. But (!) so we could do for the sine signals. This would mean that *any* sine is bandlimited. So, there must be some flaw in that reasoning.

Besides, while Stefan provided an almost convincing justification of the BLXX by integration of DC and impulses ("almost" is because there is this unanswered question of inifinite integration in the construction of the Taylor series, which is somewhat bothering). However, it would still be interesting to get a consistent look at the same problem from the virtual ADC point of view, if only for the sake of understanding.

Regards,
Vadim

--
Vadim Zavalishin