> it sorta does, but i don't think you're getting this noise-shaping thing,
> which is a similar technology used in 1-bit converters.� the model that Adams
> proposes is one where this noise-shaping affects neighboring "channels" in
> such a way that it models masking in the
> frequency domain.
> it really is an interesting insight.� you should look at it, if you're trying
> to model hearing.
> r b-j
As for noise shaping, there have been a lot of papers on stochastic resonance
in the auditory system. A sub-threshold signal can be detected if you add a
little bit of noise, more or less the same way as happens with dither. I
haven't seen this paper by Adams, but maybe it relates to stochastic resonance
too.

Risto Holopainen