>I completely agree! I find it mentally easier to think of "energy
>stored" in each component rather than "state variables" even though
>they are the same. So for musical applications it is important that a
>change in the cutoff and resonance doesn't change (until you process
>the next sample) the energy stored in each capacitor / inductor /
>other energy storage component in your model. Direct form structures
>do not have this energy conservation property,

Direct Form I has that property, since the states are simply the previous
inputs and outputs (which do not change when the filter coefficients are
modulated). It is Direct Form II, and the transposed versions of both
Direct Form I and Direct Form II, that exhibit the issue of the states
varying with the coefficients.

Of course, it's typical when teaching intro DSP to focus on the
time-invariant case, and then tell students that Direct Form I is the
worst, and Direct Form II Transpose is the best. Which is misleading when
you get into the time-variant case!